Planning a trip to an Eastern European country can be a little different than planning a trip to other parts of the world. Since the break-up of the Soviet Union, there has been a lot of change in this area of Europe--and you'll find that things are still changing. Despite this (or because of it) a trip to Eastern Europe can be a trip of a lifetime. However, as when planning any other vacation, business trip, or honeymoon, it pays to be prepared so that you can enjoy your adventures without worry.
There are several things to do for any trip to Eastern Europe. Getting your affairs in order so that you can travel stress-free is of utmost importance. Packing essential items that you won't be able to get while you're there is another. Use these checklists to make sure you don't walk out the door with that feeling that you've forgotten something.
- Top Ten Travel Preparations
- Before You Go: What to Pack
- Best Packing Practices for Eastern Europe Travel
The people you travel with can make your experience. However, a group of two travelers has a much different dynamic than a larger group. Find out what type of travel will suit you best.
- Top 10 Reasons to Travel to Eastern Europe with a Friend
- Top 10 Tips for Group Travel to Eastern Europe
Each country has its own requirements for entry, its own currency, and its own transportation systems. It's important to educate yourself well in advance so that you can take care of any necessary vaccinations, apply for visas, and know what you'll have to do at your destination upon arrival in your disoriented fog of jetlag.
- Before You Go: Bulgarian Travel Basics
- Before You Go: Slovenian Travel Basics
- Before You Go: Poland Travel Basics
- Before You Go: Romanian Travel Basics
- Before You Go: Bosnia and Herzegovina Travel Basics
- Before You Go: Russia Travel Basics
- Before You Go: Belarus Travel Basics
- Before You Go: Ukraine Travel Basics
- Before You Go: Czech Travel Basics
- Train Travel in Russia
- Safety Tips for Hitchhiking in Eastern Europe
- Toilets in Russia and Eastern Europe
- Do's and Don'ts for Currency Exchange in Eastern Europe
If you can't wait to dig into all that Eastern Europe has to offer, familiarize yourself with different attractions first, so that you can enjoy them with few unpleasant surprises.