1. Travel
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Lithuania

By

Lithuania Today:

Lithuania is one of the three Baltic States, the other to being Latvia and Estonia. In 2004 Lithuania became a member of the European Union. It is bordered by Latvia, Belarus, Poland, and Russia's Kaliningrad Region. Lithuania's flag is a yellow, green, and red tricolor. Lithuania's coat of arms, a historic symbol of Lithuania, is still widely used to represent this Baltic nation.

Lithuania History:

The Grand Duchy of Lithuania extended deep into Southeastern Europe (all the way to the Black Sea) in the 15th Century. Gediminas was an important leader during this time period who dealt with diverse religions of people under his rule. Lithuania had its first real brush with Christianity while Gediminas led Lithuania.

Lithuanian Language and Religion:

Lithuanian language is a Baltic language that has developed very slowly, making it useful for studying Proto-Indo-European, its mother language.

Lithuanians are primarily Roman Catholic - almost 80% of the population follows this branch of Christianity, with other minority religious groups making up the other 20%.

Lithuanian Culture:

Lithuania's culture has a rich folk tradition. Lithuanian Easter eggs are a part of a great Eastern European pagan heritage. Weaving is also a folk art that is widely practiced in Lithuania and used in Lithuanian national costumes.

Lithuanian Economy:

Lithuania's economy has grown since it gained its independence from the Soviet Union in the late 20th century. While rural economies have long depended upon fishing and agriculture, Lithuania's economy is becoming more global and the tourist industry is growing. Lithuania switches to the Euro in the year 2009.

Facts about Lithuania:

  • The capital of Lithuania is Vilnius.
  • Basketball is the Lithuanian national sport.
  • The largest cities in Lithuania are Vilnius, Kaunas, Klaipeda, Siauliai, and Panevezys.
  • Lithuania and Poland were once a part of a commonwealth.
  • Lithuania gained its independence from the Soviet Union in 1990.

Flights to Lithuania:

  • Flights to Vilnius Lithuania: Compare Prices
  1. About.com
  2. Travel
  3. Eastern Europe Travel
  4. Baltic Travel
  5. Lithuania Travel
  6. Lithuania - Profile of Lithuania

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.